Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Most overhyped day of the year

Well, it is national signing day.

I'll give you a moment to let that sink in.

Now for most of the country, no one will know what that means. I try to explain it to my family and they don't understand. Quite frankly I don't really get it either, and this is all my day is consumed with today.

I actually heard there are people who take the day off from work just so they can sit at home and see who is signing where. ESPNU has dedicated the entire day of coverage to signing day.

Seriously, if the highlight of your life is to see what an 18-year-old kid is going to do, you have issues. I understand the interest in the day itself. Wanting to see who signed with what school and you can start breaking down the next season. You can take a look and see if any of the guys might play immediately.

But outside of that, all of the attention is insane. Our office phones start ringing at 8 a.m. from people wanting to know if our list is done yet. Just sit back, worry about your work and when you get home this evening, check out the list. Load up the press conference and see what the coach had to say and then be done with it.

Anything else is just unhealthy.

They last thing I need is to find out some guy who should be following the radar at air traffic control, is on his laptop hitting the refresh button on rivals.com to find out if Terrelle Pryor has made a decision yet.

Experts will get on the TV and tell you who were the winners and losers this year on signing day and they will rate the top classes in the nation and by conference.

I'll go ahead and do that now with out ever looking at a list. You know who had the best signing day today? The team that wins the national championship in about three years.

If you want to sit down and look at a signing list, get the one from about three or four years ago, and see which players have panned out the most and then rank them for me. I bet you are going to find out LSU, Georgia, Ohio State and USC all had pretty good days. I don't need Todd McShay to tell me that, I just got a pretty good hunch.

No comments: